Working for the Department for International Trade
We promote trade and investment to support our domestic economy and increase the UK’s global influence, through our teams across the UK and around the world.
A global team with a single goal
Our mission is to enable the UK to trade its way to prosperity, stability and security, and our people are at the heart of everything we deliver. Join us, and you will be part of an international network of over 3,500 people located in 108 countries, making global connections and learning new skills.
Our capabilities span a wide range of professions, including a growing team of specialists in Digital and the newly established Trade Profession which we launched last year, to enable the UK to conduct its own trade policy for the first time in over 40 years.
With our international outlook comes a focus on diversity and inclusion, which are core to our department’s values. We are committed to advancing equality and welcome employees from all backgrounds, promising a workplace where you can give your best, you will be treated fairly and where you will be valued for your contributions.
I was attracted to trade because I wanted to make a difference for the people of the UK, and I am fascinated by the nexus of business, politics, and economics this role involves.
We have supported UK businesses to achieve £41.6bn worth of export wins since 2016
Our international network is spread across 108 countries and 177 locations
We have 13 different staff networks with hundreds of active members
I am interested in public policy development and working on trade policy provides an opportunity to partake in shaping the United Kingdom’s future trade and investment relationship as we prepare to exit the European Union. I am also proud to say I work at DIT because it values diversity.
Whether you join as an apprentice or senior leader, our diverse and inclusive professional environment will help you to grow and progress your career:
- a culture of learning - we recently launched a new Learning Hub, with a range of courses, information and training opportunities
- apprenticeships - we have a successful, growing scheme and are looking to expand this further
- inclusive employer - we offer flexible working arrangements
- maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
- new digital and technology infrastructure - we are revolutionising how staff communicate and collaborate with cutting-edge tools, systems and equipment.
Department for International Trade in the news
The work we do has a real impact on jobs and growth for the UK, by growing exports, attracting investment and businesses to discover, access and benefit from global trade and investment opportunities.
Our Permanent Secretary, Antonia Romeo, writes about achieving true equality.